Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Post Election Bliss

My friend Cliff Murphy pointed out that I have not posted anything in a while. I blame the election. I was so wrapped up in it that when the election was finally called I needed to take a little break from all media. It is similar to the Olympics. For two weeks I watch hours and hours of television every day and then when the Olympics are over I don't want to see a TV for weeks. The difference is that this election lasted two years. 
I am beginning to make my way back to my normal life. I read the NY Times for the first time again today. In fact, there is a very interesting article about the possible demise of the "Southern Strategy" that Republicans since Nixon have been using to win the South. The article also speculates that the South voted so strongly for McCain (while the rest of the country went blue) that the political influence of the South may have taken a big hit. The Times provides compelling visual evidence off this as well.

Map of counties that voted more heavily Republican than in 2004:
National county map showing change in voting since 2004:



No comments: